4/21/12

Review: That Old Black Magic by Michelle Rowan


Title: That Old Black Magic
Author: Michelle Rowan
Series: Living in Eden Book 3
Release Date: Dec 6 2011
Publisher: Berkley
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Rating: 3.5 Hoots
Reviewer: Charity









Reluctant witch Eden Riley knows that codependent relationships aren't good, especially when you're possessed by a sexy but troublemaking demon. Darrak's physical form makes good girl Eden want to go bad, but the constant itch to use the soul-destroying black magic she's recently acquired might force Eden to explore her dark side in an entirely different way.
And when her magic starts manifesting itself without conscious effort, both Eden's life and the possibility of a future with Darrak are threatened-since only one of them might be able to survive this...  (Goodreads)

Review:
I have to start out by saying this is the first book I have read in this 3 books series, and it’s not always smart to start at the end. It took me a while to sit down and write this review after finishing because I am on the fence with my rating. I generally stay away from Demon books because they either rub me the right way or rub me the wrong way- the religious aspect is a thin line for me. Unfortunately, about the middle to the end it really started pushing my buttons. I like the general idea of a woman or witch being possessed by a Demon, with a romantic twist, but this book just wasn’t my personal brand of tea.

I thought Darrak was a good character, but I am not too fond of Eden. Maybe I would have built a better relationship with the characters had I started with book one, but I just wasn’t feeling Eden’s attitude in this book. I thought Andy was just a fantastic character, if he ends up with a book of his own I hope it doesn’t take the Heaven, Hell, God, and Satan paranormal path.

The writing style flowed very nicely, the suspense was catching, the characters were flawed individuals, the romance was believable- albeit predictable, but still entertaining. It wasn’t a bad read it just wasn’t my personal favorite, which is why I was having a hard time with the rating.
If you are the type of person that likes the Heaven and Hell aspect, and all the characters involved with that theme, then I think you will thoroughly enjoy this series.




No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on NRR!

Lenore
~Media Coordinator/ Site Owner

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...