2/20/12

Interview: Kerrelyn Sparks


NRR: Can you share with us how you got started into writing?

I wanted to write for years before I actually started.  I kept procrastinating because I didn’t believe in myself.  When I finally completed that first manuscript, I had no idea what to do with it. I learned how to acquire an agent and get published through the organization Romance Writers of America.  I would strongly urge anyone interested in writing romance to join RWA. 
My first published book was a historical romance titled For Love or Country. When publishers started buying more paranormal romance, I wanted to give it a try.  Paranormal is just so much fun! You can really let your imagination go wild. I sold two books to HarperCollins (Avon books).  Those were How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire and Vamps and the City.  When Avon bought three more books, I realized I had a real series going. Together with my critique partners, we came up with the series title, Love at Stake.  At the end of March 2011, the tenth book in the series will be released.


NRR: What is a day in the life of Kerrelyn Sparks like?

I start off each day with the business side of being an author—keeping up with email, promotional projects, my forum, website, and Facebook pages. Then I exercise to clear my mind, so I can spend the rest of the day writing.  There are other things that have to get done, too, like laundry, cooking, and errands to run. I usually meet with my critique group/best friends for lunch once a week.  And I enjoy hanging out with my husband and children.

NRR: What authors help inspire your writing career?
   
I would say Julie Garwood and Jayne Ann Krentz (aka Amanda Quick).   I enjoy their sense of humor, witty dialogue, quick pace, and suspenseful plotlines, so I try to do the same in my books.

NRR: What is your guilty pleasure?

Key Lime Pie!  And chocolate is always good.

NRR: Do you prefer books or ereader?

I don’t own an ereader yet.  Shocking, I know!  I want to get one, but it doesn’t seem real urgent when my to-be-read pile of books is monstrously high! I have lots of books waiting for me, and every time I go to a conference, I bring home a bunch more.  Now that I write full time, I don’t have as much time to read as I did before.  It’s one of the few sad things about being an author.

NRR: What is in your to be read pile?

    I have so many!  I have books by Meg Cabot, Kelly Armstrong, Melissa Marr, Colleen Thompson, Karen Marie Moning, Sophie Jordan, Shana Abe, Gaelen Foley, Pamela Palmer, Shana Galen, Brad Thor, Lara Adrian, Joss Ware, Teresa Medeiros, Lynsay Sands, Julie Anne Long, Charlaine Harris, and that’s just the ones in this room! I have more stashed away in other rooms
NRR: Can you share with us a little bit about Vampire Mine(of course no spoilers)?

   Vampire Mine is the tenth book in the Love at Stake series, and it features the Scottish vampire, Connor, as the hero. Those who know Connor know that he’s a real grouch when it comes to romance. Finally, the secrets of his grouchiness will be revealed!  
   The back cover blurb says “Nothing on earth can make this vampire fall in love…”  And that is true. The heroine is a fallen angel.  She wants to get back to heaven, but the longer she remains in a mortal body, the more human she becomes, and the more she’s mystified by the human feelings and sensations that surround her.  Is this the work of a demon luring her into hell, or has this angel found heavenly bliss?
  
NRR: What can fans expect to see next from you?

    Book # 11 is titled Sexiest Vampire Alive and stars Gregori Holstein as the hero.  It will release at the end of September 2011.  The series is currently contracted for twelve books, but hopefully, it can last longer than that!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on NRR!

Lenore
~Media Coordinator/ Site Owner

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...