8/8/12

Interview with Julie Garwood



NRR: Hi Julie! Thank you for taking the time to join us! You are well known for giving readers romantic stories that stick near and dear to our hearts. Do you find it challenging to keep coming up with fresh new characters and romantic storyline's?

I have a pretty active imagination, so I'm constantly thinking of story ideas. Of course, developing them and turning them into complete novels is the hard part.


NRR: How did you craft the romantic tone of Sweet Talk?

Creating a romantic tone is all about anticipation. My hero and heroine usually have an immediate attraction, but watching the chemistry build between them is what makes it romantic. Usually, there's some obstacle that would keep them apart. In Sweet Talk, the heroine, Olivia, has commitment issues that stem from her childhood, and the hero, Grayson, is determined to keep his distance because of his professional responsibilities. But the attraction is so strong they just can't seem to keep their hands off each other.


NRR:What were your top 3 reasons for writing Sweet Talk?

I was inspired by recent news stories of greed and corruption. I wanted to show how innocent people were affected, and I wanted to write a story that took a close look at the bad guys.
I also thought it would be fun to create a heroine who worked for the IRS. It's a rather unromantic job, so it's not usually associated with romance.
The theme of friendship was also a large component of this story. Olivia finds in her friends the love and concern she never received from her family.


NRR:What would you say is the hardest/easiest part of the writing process?

The hardest part is the beginning. The first few sentences set the tone for the entire book, so I struggle to make it right.
The easiest part is when the characters take over and I can hear their dialogue as I write. Sometimes they'll surprise me and come up with a plot twist I hadn't planned.


NRR:What is your guilty pleasure?
 
Diet Coke and chocolate.


NRR:Do you ever take real qualities of people close to you to create your characters?
 
I probably do, but I'm not aware of it when I'm writing. I do find characters, however, when I'm casually observing people. Airports and shopping malls are great sources of material.


NRR: What is one thing you would caution readers before reading Sweet Talk?
 
Please don't read it in an hour. It took me forever to get it done.


NRR: What can we expect to see from you next?

I'm currently working on a trilogy about three sisters.



1 comment :

  1. Sigh! I remember the days when I'd stay up late for Julie Garwood. Thanks for the interview.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on NRR!

Lenore
~Media Coordinator/ Site Owner

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...