5/14/12

Interview with Victoria Vane




NRR: Hi Victoria! Thank you for taking the time to join us today. Can you share with us how you got started in writing?

It was a fluke really; I just woke up one day in late 2007 with a story in my head that wouldn’t go away so I decided to write it. I finished my mammoth 189,000 word tome 14 months later and sent out query letters. Lo and behold someone (Sourcebooks) was actually interested in publishing it (after considerable editing LOL!) The final product was THE HIGHEST STAKES written as Emery Lee, a tale of passion, retribution and horseracing. My second novel, FORTUNE’S SON, also for Sourcebooks is part prequel and part sequel to the first book. It has received several reviewer top picks and was nominated for two awards this year. For more information and excerpts: http://authoremerylee.com

I took a slight detour after that with a foray into erotic historical romance that began with A BREACH OF PROMISE from Ellora’s Cave. This was a great writing experiment for me as I had never written anything very explicit, nor had I focused my story entirely on the romance as my prior works incorporated equal amounts of history and romance. This naughty little novella also received a great reception which spurred me to write my forthcoming Devil DeVere series for Breathless Press.



NRR: You are a writer of steamy historicals! Can you tell us how you decided to pick this genre to write in?

That's actually a long story as it wasn't originally by choice! It all began with a romance novella called, A BREACH OF PROMISE that I wrote as an "experiment" during a lull between agents and publishing contracts.  This story was a complete departure from my other work in both its light tone and high heat level. My first draft was a 15K words intended for Harlequins’ UNDONE line of short and sexy historical romances. Unfortunately, after waiting three months for a response, I learned that Harlequin wasn't at all interested. By then, however, I had submitted the story to several other publishers, certain that one of them would snatch up my little gem. Wrong again. I got several more rejections. Deciding then to shelf the story as a “failed experiment,” you can imagine my shock when I received an email from an editor at ELLORA’S CAVE expressing interest in the manuscript I had submitted under their BLUSH (non-erotic) line.

It was an acceptance conditional on my willingness to further develop the romantic relationship of the story and to amp up the heat level to suit their erotic historical (LEGEND) line. Having never written explicit sex, the idea was daunting, but here was a golden opportunity to stretch myself as a writer. I accepted the contract with the promise to deliver a hot historical romance that readers would love. Easy, right? NOT!!!

Bringing genuine emotion into a story is one of the most difficult undertakings of any writer, but to integrate this into sex scenes is exponentially harder. It is a true gift when done well. Wanting very much to do it well, I set out to find authors who meld strong emotion into explicit love scenes, authors I wished to emulate. I read a number of beautifully crafted highly sensual stories by Robin Schone, Lila DiPasqua, Charlotte Featherstone, and Sylvia Day. Inspired by these wonderful authors and with a new shift in mindset, I re-wrote all of my love scenes. I can only hope my efforts have succeeded and readers will experience true passion through Marcus and Lydia in A BREACH OF PROMISE. Link to excerpt: http://authorvictoriavane.com/a-breach-of-promise-prologue/. Buy link: http://www.jasminejade.com/p-9689-a-breach-of-promise.aspx

NRR: You just recently had a new release, A WILD NIGHT'S BRIDE, tell us about it!

A WILD NIGHT'S BRIDE is a racy, rollicking Georgian romp, and the first title in my brand new erotic historical romance series called THE DEVIL DEVERE.  To explain a bit more, the series is comprised of four scorching HOT historical romance novellas that fit seamlessly together to tell the story of my six main characters and their respective romances, with each of these novellas ending with an epilogue that leads directly into the next story. I think readers will really enjoy this fresh and different approach that makes it almost like reading a serial novel. The first title introduces the main characters, all of whom are somehow connected through Viscount Ludovic "The Devil DeVere."

DeVere is a fabulous character, a master manipulator and quintessential rake, who plays a major secondary role in the first and second books, while the third and fourth are both dedicated to him. That may seem highly unusual, but the romantic liaison between DeVere and Diana was so complex that it could be done justice in one book. Thus, I decided to tell their history in THE DEVIL YOU KNOW and their HEA in THE DEVIL'S MATCH. These are also the longest stories. For those who MUST have a happy ending, I advise you to read these titles back-to-back. Incidentally, these two novellas will be combined for release in a trade paperback in late August or September.

NRR: What is your guilty pleasure?  Romance novels and Ferrero Rocher chocolates

NRR: Historical romance is very popular among readers, so what do you find to be one of the most challenging parts to writing in this genre?
Writing in general is challenging but I live and breathe 18th century history, so I can't imagine writing anything else. The most frequent comment I hear from readers and reviewers about all of my work that ranges from historical fiction to erotic historical romance, is my unique ability to bring my historical era vividly to life.

NRR: What is in your to be read pile?
LOTS of books! LOL!
Actually, I have a number of recent releases from several favorite authors I am dying to get to. These include: Pamela Clare, Jennifer Blake, Grace Burrowes, Shana Galen, Loretta Chase, Mia Marlowe, and Jade Lee. Other authors I have not yet read are: C.J. Archer, Roberta Gellis, Tracy Grant, and Paullina Simons

NRR: What can we expect to see from you next?
My nest releases in the Devil DeVere series are scheduled 4-6 weeks apart, so you will see THE VIRGIN HUNTRESS on 6/29/12, http://authorvictoriavane.com/the-virgin-huntress/the-virgin-huntress-excerpt/  THE DEVIL YOU KNOW on 7/27/12 http://authorvictoriavane.com/the-devil-you-know/the-devil-you-know-excerpt-mature-content-warning/  and THE DEVIL'S MATCH on 8/24/12  http://authorvictoriavane.com/the-devils-match/the-devils-match-excerpt-mature-content-warning/ . After that I have two big projects waiting in the wings, DANGEROUS DESIGNS, a dark erotically charged Georgian romance with elements of intrigue, and then something radically different- an erotic paranormal historical romance called THE WIDOW'S WARDROBE.



ABOUT THIS AUTHOR:
A lover of history and deeply romantic stories, Victoria Vane combines these elements to craft romantic historical novels and novellas for a mature reading audience. Her writing influences are Georgette Heyer for fabulous witty dialogue and over the top characters, Robin Schone , Sylvia Day, and Charlotte Featherstone for beautifully crafted prose in stories with deep sensuality, and Lila DiPasqua for creative vision in melding history with eroticism.  Ms. Vane also writes award nominated romantic historical fiction as Emery Lee 

OTHER TITLES:     A BREACH OF PROMISE, Ellora's Cave (N.O.R. *Top Pick*)
Emery Lee Titles:    FORTUNE'S SON,  (TRR *Top Pick* and Best Historical Romance nominee)
                                 THE HIGHEST STAKES, Sourcebooks

Facebook:  Author Victoria Vane  and   Author Emery Lee
Twitter: @authoremerylee

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on NRR!

Lenore
~Media Coordinator/ Site Owner

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...