3/19/12

Review:The Weepers:The Other Life-Susanne Winnacker

Title: The Weepers: The Other Life
Author: Susanne Winnacker
Series: The Weepers Book 1
Release Date: May 2012
Publisher: Marshall Cavendish
Genre: Young Adult
Rating: 10 Hoots!
Reviewer: Michelle







Sherry has lived with her family in a bunker for more than three years. Her grandfather's body has been in the freezer for the last six months, her parents are at each other's throats and two minutes ago, they ran out of food. Sherry and her father must leave the safety of the bunker. What they find is an empty Los Angeles, destroyed by bombs and haunted by Weepers - savage humans infected with a rabies virus. While searching for food, Sherry's father disappears and Sherry is saved by Joshua, a hunter. He takes her to Safe-haven, a vineyard where a handful of survivors are picking up the pieces of their other lives, before the virus changed everything. Sherry must find a way to help her family, stay alive, and decide whether Joshua is their savior or greatest danger as his desire for vengeance threatens them all. This debut novel is a page-turner that is not easy to forget. (Goodreads)


Review:

When I picked up The Weepers by Susanne Winnacker I was expecting the everyday apocalyptic story. Don’t get me wrong I love those types of stories, but after reading so many I thought I knew how the plot would turn out. When I finally started reading it though it took me by complete surprise! The Weepers is not your average end of the world story; in fact it’s nothing like I expected it to be. The story starts with a family trapped in a bunker waiting for the government to give the clear on the mutated rabies virus. However, it’s been three years and still no word so Sherry and her father leave safety in search for food and survivors. What they find at the top of the bunker is their destroyed LA home town; nothing but burnt buildings for miles and miles. While they are searching for food, they discover a beast more deadly than any zombie, mutant, monster could ever attempt to compare with. The beasts Winnacker creates are just incredible! I cannot find words that would accurately describe how horrid and deceptive these beasts truly are. I honestly cannot get over how entrapped I was in this work, every page held shocking new surprises including the ending. The plot line and character development have surpassed my initial expectations. It has been too long since I have read a story that actually made me feel a part of the action. I could tell Winnacker took a great deal of time and effort to create this story and I am so thankful that there are still authors that take pride in their work. I would be shocked if The Weepers didn't make the New York Times Bestseller. This is the best written work I have read in a long time and I cannot wait to see what comes next.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on NRR!

Lenore
~Media Coordinator/ Site Owner

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...