2/20/12

Interview: Cindy Gerard


NRR: Can you share with us how you got started in writing? 

I was a slow starter.  I had always been a reader and devoured everything I got my hands on – from biographies to epics and sagas to nonfiction – but it wasn’t long after I discovered romance novels that I got bitten by the writing bug.  I wrote and reworked my first book a dozen times before I finally sent it out.  It never sold, but I learned a lot writing that book.  My fourth completed manuscript finally caught and editor’s eye at Bantam/Dell for the now defunct Loveswept line.  Seemed like a dream come true.  Still does.

NRR: How were you inspired to write the Black Ops Inc.series? 

I’d written the 6 Bodyguard books, felt that they had had a good run but that it was time to move on to something a little different and a little bigger.  During the writing of the last BG book (INTO THE DARK) several secondary characters materialized who were so intriguing and compelling that I knew I had to write their stories.  Of course, I didn’t know their stories at the time, but I took a page from Field of Dreams – “If I write it they will come” – and Black,Ops., Inc. was born.  The first 3 books of the series features Gabe – the Archangel – Jones, Sam Lang and Johnny Duane Reed.  I love to write fast paced, high-octane romantic adventure suspense and these boys – and the rest of the men of Black Ops., Inc., Rafe, Wyatt, Doc and Joe  – were tailor made for that type of story.  They’re alpha warriors, patriots, irreverent and intriguing.  And yeah, a little bit wounded.  What’s not to like?  

NRR: Fans have been waiting to get Doc's story (I know I have),did you always know where you wanted to go with his character?

I have always loved Doc.  He has been that magic blend of funny, sweet, irreverent, loyal and alpha.  What is NOT to love about him?  And yes, I knew where I was going to take him – although I did NOT know he was going to get shot and almost die in RISK NO SECRETS.  That was a huge surprise and ended up playing a major factor in his total character development.  

NRR: What is your guilty pleasure? 

TV and games on the computer.  There.  I confessed.  Feels like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders.  Okay. And I’ll confess to loving Cheetos and Chocolate.  Happy now??  ;o)

NRR: Out of all the male leads in the Black Ops Inc. series do you have one that sticks to your heart? Mine would be a toss up between Sam,Johnny and Doc! 

You know, these guys are like my brothers.  I adore them all.  Champion for them all.  Do my darnedest to make certain I tell their stories honestly and give them everything thing they need to sustain their lives and their relationships.  So, it’s really difficult to pick a favorite.  But yeah, Johnny and Doc kind of stole my heart from the get go.  And Gabe.  Oh man, he hit me like a ton of bricks. 

NRR: What was the most challenging part of writing With No Remorse? 

I wanted this book to be a really good blend of action, romance, suspense and humor.  The challenge was keeping Doc toned down and NOT crack a joke every time a bullet flew.  He’s just suck a smart ass.  It was hard to keep him under control.  The book truly was a blast to write.

NRR: What is a day in the life Of Cindy Gerard like? 

Writing’s my job.  I treat it like one which means I’m up every day and in my office by 7:30 or 8:00 am and I write until 5:00 or 6:00.  Sometime, depending on how tight my deadline is, I also write weekends.  Like many writers, I do have a few little ‘rituals’ I indulge in when I work.  I HAVE to have music playing and I have to have a vanilla candle burning.  Other than that, the cats and the dog wander in and out of my office, curl up on my desk or on the love seat or on the floor at my feet and keep me company as I work.  I also have bird feeders stationed outside my windows so I have something to look at when I’m stuck and searching for inspiration as I stare vacantly out the window.  :0) Oh and yes, I DO procrastinate.  Can’t start my writing day without some Spider Solitaire :o) and several drop byes on Facebook :o) 

NRR: Can you share with us the storyline to With No Remorse?  

Sure – here’s the blurb from the back of the book.  Pretty much tells the tale:  “His plans for a quiet vacation in the Peruvian Andes turns deadly when a Black Ops., Inc. operative rescues a stunning stranger from a mysterious train robbery and discovers she’s the target of a vengeful manhunt.”
This book starts out with a bang and just keeps moving like a bullet.  It really took me for a ride. 

NRR: What can fans expect to see from you next? 

I’m currently writing Joe Green’s story – book 7 in the Black Ops. Inc. series.  This book is more dramatic than some of the stories in the series and deeply emotional.  The only thing I can give away is when the book opens, Joe has gone rogue.  With luck, I’ll even make my deadline :o)  

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on NRR!

Lenore
~Media Coordinator/ Site Owner

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...