2/20/12

Interview: Alyxandra Harvey


NRR: Can you share with us how you got started in writing?

I was on a family vacation on a sailboat in the middle of the ocean.  I was nine years old and very very bored.  And then my brother threw my Cindi Lauper tape into the water after the ten thousandth or so time I played it. Then I was really bored. I annoyed everyone until a friend of the family suggested I write a short story. I did...and I fell in love! I basically never stopped. I think I might be melding two family trips into one in that story, but you get the idea!

NRR: How were you inspired to write Haunting Violet?

The idea for Haunting Violet popped into my head when I was reading about fake séances in the 1870’s. I could picture Violet reluctantly working for her mother  and how confused she would be if she ever found out ghosts were actually real. Once I had that question in my mind, I just felt compelled to answer it!

NRR: What is your guilty pleasure?

I love seeing the book trailers people make for my books!  I’m always amazed at the time and creativity they put into it. But I don’t feel the least bit guilty about that pleasure.  Nor over my love of “Lost in Austen” BBC mini series and Desperate Romantics.  And I’m currently re-addicted to superhero movies and shows.

NRR: What was the most challenging part of writing Haunting Violet?

I wrote Haunting Violet while I was struggling with iron deficiency/ borderline anemia.  Staying awake was a struggle, and so I could rarely make it out to the computer. Instead, I curled up on the couch or at the dining room table and wrote longhand. In the end it was a lovely intimate way to write a book.

NRR: What is in your to be read pile?

I’ve just bought the new “Welcome to Bordertown” anthology and I can’t wait to crack it open!

NRR: Can you share with us the storyline to Haunting Violet?

1872, London

Violet Willoughby doesn't believe in ghosts, especially since her mother has worked as a fraudulent medium for a decade. Violet has taken part in enough of her mother's tricks to feel more than a little jaded about anything supernatural. The ghosts, however, believe in Violet and she's been seeing them everywhere. One ghost in particular needs Violet to use her emerging gift to solve her murder ...and prevent the ghost's twin sister from suffering the same fate.

NRR: What can fans expect to see from you next?

I have an urban Faery YA novel coming out in May 2012 called “Stolen Away” which I’m very excited about! I think it has my yummiest and most angsty couple to date.

And, of course, “Bleeding Hearts”, #4 in the Drake Chronicles (US/NA Jan 2012, UK Oct2011), which is Lucy's POV and her cousin Christabel. And Connor Drake.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on NRR!

Lenore
~Media Coordinator/ Site Owner

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...