12/5/12

GoodReads Choice Awards!

So the results for the GoodReads Choice Awards are up. I have to say I was a bit surprised by some of the results and not a bit by others. Do I think some "popular" books got voted whether they were actually the best? Yeah probably. I mean a lot of people go to vote in the categories where they actually read the books and vote in the ones they didn't based solely on "who they'd heard of". So what do you think? Do you agree?

Best Fiction
The Casual Vacancy - JK Rowling

I actually have not had a chance to read this one. I'm not surprised it won though. Come on. It's Rowling. I didn't read any of the others either so can't judge.

Best Mystery
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

I actually did not read this one, but I am very interested in it. Seems like a good read, and I know the reviews were good.

Best Historical
the Light Between Oceans by ML Stedman

Best Fantasy

The Wind Through the Keyhole by Stephen King, Jae Lee

Best Paranormal Fantasy
Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness

I cannot wait to read this series. I know shame on me for not yet, but life (and other yummy reads) got in the way. Some surprising and good competition. Briggs, Evanovich, and Harrison are stiff competition. It only beat Wicked Business by 3 votes. I am surprised that Richelle Mead's Shadow Heir was nominated. I was disappointed with its ending. Great nominations though. One of the toughest genre to choose from for me. I voted either By a Thread or Biting Cold. Both are favorite authors; however, I LOVE Estep, so it was likely her. Personally, I think there could have been better nominations, but hey, all great books.

Best Science Fiction
the Long Earth by Terry Prathett, Stephen Baxter

Best Romance
Fifty Shades Freed by EL James

Here comes my mini rant about popular books over those deserving. I have several of the other authors nominated, Smantha Young, Sylvia Day, Sylvain Reynard, and there are just as good or better out there other than EL James. I read Bared to You and On Dublin Street after Fifty and personally, I found the writing styles and story lines as good as if not better then James. Because James went out on a drastic limb she got a lot of press. Were the books bad? Not at all, but there are those that are as good as or better that get overlooked because of it. Okay mini rant over. Tough choices in that category.

Best Horror
The Twelve by Justin Cronin

Best Memoir
Wild by Cheryl Strayed

Best History & Biography
Elizabeth the Queen by Sally Smith

Best Nonfiction
Quiet by Susan Cain

Best Graphic Novel
The Walking Dead V 16 by Robert Kirkman, Charlie Adlard

SURPRISE! Hehe. NOT

Best GoodReads Author
Veronica Roth

I don't think anyone would argue there. I love Roth!

Best Young Adult
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Best Young Adult Fantasy
Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Once again, great great nominees. Hard choice.


2 comments :

  1. Ya...rant back on Lenore...I have to say that any and every Kristen Ashley book are better than the one voted "best romance". That said, Motorcycle Man was in this category and was an awesome read! Reviewed here too...but then you know me...promoting Kit at all turns. Also, shout out to one not nominated...Shannon McKenna...I LOVE the way she writes! Rant out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Yes! There were so many good romances out this past year. I'm not saying James is a bad writer or the Fifty series was not a good one but.... you catch me :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on NRR!

Lenore
~Media Coordinator/ Site Owner

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...