2/20/12

Interview: Marie Treanor



NRR: When did you discover your passion for writing?

  Almost as soon as I could hold a pencil! I was always scribbling stories and even wrote plays for my friends to perform in! But I only began writing seriously, with a view to publication, about six years ago.

NRR: Vampire fiction has become insanely popular; however, so has the paranormal romance world overall. Why did you decide on vampires? 

I have written in other paranormal genres. In fact I quite like mixing them up! But I’ve always had a particular love of vampire tales, dating from when I first read “Dracula” as a child, and later “Interview with the Vampire”. “Blood on Silk” isn’t the first vampire story I’ve written, but I think it’s the one that most reflects my passion for atmospheric gothic romance. It grew out of a scene that popped into my head one day – a beautiful stone coffin carving that came to life and advanced upon my unsuspecting heroine.

NRR: Out of every book you have written (including those you plan to write) who has been your favorite hero/heroine? Why?

Oh dear, I love all my heroes and heroines as I’m writing them! So, I’m fickle. I’ve had previous favourites, and I know I’ll have different ones in the future, but for now, because I’ve been writing about them so much, my favourites are Elizabeth and Saloman from “Blood on Silk”.  I like that Elizabeth, an intellectual and more of a thinker than a do-er, who doesn’t even believe in vampires, adjust to her new life of danger, forcing herself to learn to fight and defend herself rather than relying on the protection of others. I like her force of character, her sense of right and wrong, her independence and her vulnerability. And Saloman – well, he’s sexy J. I love his strength and humour and the quality of his inhumanity, his sheer “different-ness”. And I like that, although he’s existed for so long, and is justifiably angry about the betrayal that kept him imprisoned in agony for three hundred years, he leans through Elizabeth to look beyond revenge and world domination. Because he is so cold and alien for much of the time, I like his odd moments of softening and vulnerability.

NRR: Out of all the books you have read, what author would you say inspired you the most?

Again, there have been so many! If I have to limit it to one, though, I think it would be Dorothy Dunnett, a Scottish writer famous for her wonderful historical novels.

NRR: Where is your favorite place to write? 

Sometimes, in bed! Sometimes in a quiet room at the back of the house, where I’m surrounded by books and other favourite things.

NRR: What is next for Saloman, Elizabeth, and yourself?

Next is “Blood Sin”, the second Awakened by Blood novel, which sees Elizabeth and Saloman working together to track down his stolen, legendary sword and the over-powerful politician who wants to use it to gain immortality. Obviously they have different ideas about what to do with the sword once they recover it, but that’s just one of the conflicts they have to resolve between them.

NRR: What hobbies interest you besides your writing and reading?

Writing has taken over my life to such an extent that most other hobbies have fallen by the wayside! I like to travel, see new places and meet unusual people; I like films, good food and wine and hanging out with old friends. And I still like spending time with my family, making the most of my kids before they grow up completely J

NRR: What genre is your favorite to write?

I suppose it has to be paranormal, though I like to mix it with a bit of fantasy, humour, science fiction, suspense, historical romance – whatever the story calls for!

NRR: Do you a favorite website that you like to use to keep readers updated?

I update my website pretty regularly: http://www.marietreanor.com/. And I have a newish Facebook fan page where I usually post the news as it happens: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Marie-Treanor-Paranormal-Romance/105866982782360 .

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on NRR!

Lenore
~Media Coordinator/ Site Owner

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...