2/19/12

Interview: Karen Chance


NRR: Can you share with us when you knew you wanted to become a writer?

I think always.  I’ve written something at pretty much every period in my life.  I wrote my first novel, if you can call it that—I’m not sure it deserves the title—when I was in my early twenties.  But at the time, I was in college and working a full-time job to stay there, and my free time each week could be counted in minutes.  I used to joke that I had to schedule time to do the laundry, but it wasn’t that far from the truth!  So, bad as the book was, I was proud of having finished it at all.  But at that point, there was simply no opportunity to work on getting any better.  That had to wait until I finished my studies.

NRR: What was the most challenging part of writing Hunt The Moon?

I think fitting in everything that needed to be there and still making it a fun read.  Hunt the Moon is a pivotal book in the series and it contains a lot of information, both about the characters and about the overarching plot of the series.  But I didn’t want it to read like it.  Character development and plot exposition are great, but they need to be done in conjunction with the crazier/funnier aspects of the book or they can get a little overwhelming. I think the trickiest part of Hunt the Moon for me was finding that balance.

NRR: How were you inspired to write Cassie's character?

I suppose reading a lot of other urban fantasy and wondering why there wasn’t a character like that.  I wanted to write something different and no one was doing anything with seers.  Plus Cassie had to be the way she is for the plot of the series to work.  All of the characters are really there for plot-related reasons.

NRR: What is your guilty pleasure?

World of Warcraft.  Yes, I am that much of a geek.  I have a level 80 undead warrior I am dying to try out in Cataclysm—the newest release--but haven’t had the time.  WOW, for those not on the crack yet, is one of the internet’s biggest time sinks, and these days, I am being forced to go cold turkey due to RL concerns.  But I will be back!  Oh, yes.  And the Alliance shall tremble. 

NRR: Readers enjoy following the adventures of Cassie's life. Is there one scene out of all your novels that is your favorite?

That’s like asking a parent which of their kids they prefer!  But if I had to choose, I’d probably say the scenes in Hunt the Moon when Cassie and Pritkin are discussing what happened to his wife.  I had wanted to write those for a while, but didn’t have a good plot-related reason. But they were needed in this book, and I was really happy with how they came out.

NRR: I'm sure you are asked this question repeatedly. Which male lead do you find better suited for Cassie. Mircea or Pritkin? (It is a tie for me!)

Hm, I’m not sure how to answer that.  They are both complex characters who have their good points and their not-so-good points.  And both of them interact with Cassie in very different ways. She brings out different things in each man, and they in her, so each of the relationships is unique.  Comparing them is like apples and oranges; it doesn’t really work.  

NRR: Can you share the storyline to Hunt The Moon?

Because this book is so full of answers, I can’t say much about the plot without also giving spoilers.  But I can say that I think Hunt the Moon does for the series’ character development what Curse the Dawn did for its world building.  You don’t learn all of everyone’s secrets (or there’d be no need for more books!)  But you do get the pivotal moment in each of the three main characters’ pasts that made them the way they are today.   

NRR: What can fans expect to see next from you?

I am currently working on the next Dorina Basarab novel and, of course, the next Cassie.  There’s also a Dory short story in the anthology Chicks Kick Ass due out June 7, the same day as Hunt The Moon.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on NRR!

Lenore
~Media Coordinator/ Site Owner

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...